The answer to the question of whether it is possible to wash bedding with towels is ambiguous: it depends on the type of matter, the quality of the products and the nature of pollution.
When it's a bad idea
You should always follow the recommendations on the linen label, whether it is silk sheets or waffle towels. Proper care will allow the textile to serve for a long time, without crumbling, not covered with spools and without losing color.
Very often, the recommendations for bedding and towels are different:
- Bed linen made of cotton and linen is quite tolerant of washing powders; terry towels are recommended gels that are easier to rinse.
- Terry towels are prescribed an additional rinse, and for bed textiles this is an extra load.
- Towels are quietly wrung out at 1000 rpm, but soft bedding (satin, poplin, especially silk or wool) need a minimum of rpm.
- Modern towels are often so substandard that ordinary washing quickly makes them unusable - a delicate program with soaking is better for them. To wash this will turn out 2–4 towels, but the duvet cover or sheet is too voluminous; you can soak them only in the bath, not in the drum. If we are talking about silk or wool, then prolonged soaking will damage their structure.
- In order for the pillowcases and sheets to be soft and pleasantly smelling, when washing they add conditioner, which is contraindicated in towels, since it reduces their hygroscopicity, and the addition of terry pile is especially harmful.
- Towels get dirty anyway: they wipe the skin several times a day, they hang in a wet bathroom or in the kitchen. Therefore, they need either soaking or intensive washing, and this is at least 2 hours per cycle. Bed is usually cleaner if only because they use it once a day. Accordingly, 40 degrees and 40-60 minutes of washing are enough for him.
But even when the recommendations are the same, there are a number of cases when washing clothes and towels together is not worth it:
- Kitchen towels. As a rule, these are wafer wipes for hands. Less often - terry with the same functionality. But terry napkins for tables are still not exterminated by progress. All this textile is very quickly smeared with fat (from the hands, the bottom of the pan, which urgently needs to be wiped and returned to the stove, from the steam from cooking) and colonized with all kinds of bacteria. They need to be changed daily, and washed at 60 degrees for a half hour minimum. Running with anything else is not recommended, if only because not every thing can withstand such aggressive care regimes.
- Pile. Modern terry towels are in most cases a miserable parody of how this product should be. Modern textiles quickly lose color and pile. Wiping duvet covers and pillowcases with them means scooping up heaps of litter from the corners, and while ironing, patiently remove the fibers with a clothes roller, otherwise you will have to sleep like in the sand.
- Mass + volume. Bed linen itself takes up a lot of space in the washing machine, and towels, especially terry towels, when wet, become 5 times heavier. This, firstly, will interfere with high-quality washing, and secondly, it will increase the load on the drum and increase the wear of equipment.
- Colour. Cheap towels often fade and will not fail to change the shade of bed textiles.
To return the towel to softness, soak it in saline for several hours. Take 10 tbsp. l spices in 10 liters of water. After this, the towel must be thoroughly rinsed and dried.
Bans - a reason to get around them?
Yes, there are cases when towels do not harm the bed in any way and vice versa. When?
Firstly, if we are talking about dense bedding and high-quality towels (such as Soviet or Ivanovo textiles). With a clear conscience, run them 60 degrees with a double rinse and do not worry. The only thing - do not fill the drum to capacity, leave at least 1/4 free.
When you wash the bedding and towels of a baby, a sick (especially lying) or a very elderly person. Here disinfection will not be superfluous. Wash his clothes separately, using long cycles and the most hot water, which is allowed by sewing on textiles.
If you change thin hand towels daily (for the kitchen it is necessary) or every other day, so that they do not have time to get dirty significantly, then by the middle of the week, when it's time to change the pillowcases, and in the summer and the sheet, you will have an optimal bookmark for the usual cycle. But remember that thin towels (usually cheap) generously lose their villi - they will have to choose from the corners of pillowcases.
So, the main problems are inconsistencies in the detergent (towels do not need air conditioning, and bedding is desirable), in the rinse mode (towels need two, and bedding is quite normal) and the intensity of the wash. Based on this, purity.decorexpro.com/en/ magazine recommends that its readers wash towels separately from other things. Do not be afraid that the bookmark will turn out too small: modern machines do not have a minimum load, it is permissible to wash at least one towel.
In order not to waste electricity, water and laundry detergent (which affects both the budget and the environment), open a laundry basket and run towels when they are typed into a full bookmark (in a family of three this is usually not a problem, but a bigger family and even more so).
When washing, take into account the type of fabric, the degree of contamination and the manufacturer's recommendations for care. If everything matches and the volume of the drum allows, it is perfectly acceptable to run towels with bed linen. Still, the general recommendation is to wash them separately.