Bright and dark things are recommended to be washed separately from light, as they can not only shed, but also color the entire contents of the washing machine. Not everyone knows what to do if things have become colored during washing, so they are simply thrown away when this happens. But do not rush into this, because today there are many ways to wash clothes and return their color.
If you notice that a thing is colored, try to take action immediately. Try to wash it again in the usual way, having previously sorted the contents of the washing machine by the colors. For greater efficiency, stains can be rubbed with laundry soap before washing and left for 3-4 hours.
If colored or dark stains do not have time to dry, a dishwashing detergent will help to remove them. Add it to hot water and soak things in this solution for a couple of hours. If you washed the laundry and this did not help, more serious actions will be required.
Good to know
The effectiveness of various activities that restore color, largely depends on the type of fabric. Cotton clothes are the easiest to restore. Artificial materials, such as nylon, are difficult to whiten, and sometimes impossible.
How to return color to things?
If you need to bleach colored items, try washing them in a typewriter by adding powder bleach to a regular product (it can be purchased at a household chemical store). Liquid bleach is added to the prewash compartment. In order not to spoil the white things completely, be sure to follow the instructions on the product packaging. If the thing cannot be machine washed, first soak it in bleach for 5-6 hours, then wash it manually.
Bleach can be used if the fabrics are white. Bright clothes after such processing may lose their color. For her, it is recommended to use products marked “Color” or “For colored fabrics”. Many stain removers are not only added to the washing machine, but also pre-applied to the stain.
When buying bleach, pay attention to its composition. Chlorine products are not recommended for washing delicate fabrics: silk, wool, linen. The fabric can simply deteriorate from such an aggressive effect.
- Ammonia or hydrogen peroxide.
4 liters of water will require 2 teaspoons of ammonia or 2-3 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide. Pour water into a bucket, a metal basin or into a large pan, add ammonia or peroxide into it, mix everything well and place colored things in the solution. Place a basin on the stove and bring the water to a boil. To wipe off the fabric, simmer it for about an hour.
- If you are afraid that boiling can ruin the laundry, you can use another method.
Dissolve 10 ml of ammonia in 5 l of hot water. Soak a thing in such a solution for at least 1-1.5 hours. After this, the spots should disappear. But be prepared for the strong smell of ammonia to remain. To fix it, wash the item in a typewriter or manually with a fragrant conditioner. So you can wash both white and colored fabrics.
- Starch, salt and citric acid.
To prepare a cleansing composition, mix in equal proportions (about 1 tablespoon) citric acid, salt, starch and grated laundry soap. Mix well and add a little warm water to make a thick slurry.Take clothes and apply this mixture to the damaged areas from the wrong side. In this form, leave the thing for 8-10 hours (you can at night), then rinse and if necessary wash again in the machine.
- Lemon juice.
Lemon is famous for its whitening properties, so it will help return things to white. Rub the damaged areas with half a lemon and leave the item as it is for several hours. To bleach a product from a delicate fabric, you can soak it in water with lemon juice or citric acid. This is followed by normal washing, then drying.
- Potassium permanganate.
This method is quite risky, so it should be used in the very least. Dissolve several crystals of potassium permanganate in water, add powder for a hand wash and mix. Soak the same color in this water for 1-1.5 hours. After this, rinse the laundry thoroughly with plenty of water.
- Have you washed a thing and noticed that it has stained? Immediately proceed to her “resuscitation”. No need to dry it, let alone iron it. Otherwise, the paint can eat into the fabric, after which it will be much more difficult to remove it.
- When trying to bleach things, do not mix several products at once. Use them separately from each other.
- Please note that after boiling, the fabric may deform, thin out, lose color. Therefore, it is recommended to resort to it in extreme cases, if a simple wash did not help to bleach the laundry.
- When using chemicals, it is not recommended to rinse or boil the item more than 3 times in a row. Otherwise, the fibers of the fabric will disintegrate and nothing else will have to be done, since the clothes will be unfit to wear.
- If you have purchased a new item and do not know if it is subject to molting, the first time it is better to wash it separately from other clothes.
- Most fabrics are dyed when washed in hot water. Therefore, when washing things at a high temperature, first divide them by color.
- To prevent things that are prone to molting, do not spoil the rest of the product, you can use special napkins that catch the color.
Alternative ways to resuscitate things
What to do if it was not possible to wipe the thing? Do not rush to throw it away. In some cases, clothes can be decorated. There are many ways that will allow you to create an author's thing. Here are just a few of them.
- Try painting with special paints for the fabric. With the help of a stencil, paints and a sponge, you can make beautiful patterns. If you draw well, using a stencil is not necessary.
- Get acrylic paint for the fabric in an aerosol can. It is easy to apply, dries quickly, and color remains during washing.
- Some things, such as cotton, can be completely dyed by boiling in an aniline dye.
- A spoiled thing can be decorated with appliqués, rhinestones or sequins. Ready-made applications are sold in fabric and accessories stores.
If you ruined an expensive product and are in doubt whether you can fix the situation yourself, do not experiment and try all the methods one by one. In this case, it is better to spend money and use dry cleaning services.