Cleaning the sofa with a steam cleaner is the easiest, most effective and safest way to restore its pleasant appearance and get rid of dirt. A jet of steam can penetrate deep into the fibers of the fabric - to where other cleaning agents do not fall.
The benefits of steam cleaning
The steam cleaner works simply but efficiently. Inside the device there is a steam boiler - a container in which water is heated, turning into steam. Under the action of high pressure, steam exits the pipe through one of several nozzles available in the kit.
The most popular manufacturers of such devices:
For cleaning sofas, armchairs and other types of upholstered furniture, the nozzle of a triangular shape is best suited (not only Kercher, but also most other brands have these). A wide nozzle for floors, narrow for plumbing or a nozzle with a brush will not work.
What are the benefits of a steam cleaner?
- It is convenient and easy to use. It does not require large expenditures of physical strength. You can choose the most compact model for greater convenience.
- No chemicals - only water in a vaporous state. It means safety. The less toxic the better.
- The combination of moisture and high temperature perfectly copes with dirt, it is often possible to remove even a thick layer of fat.
- Quick cleaning.
- Cleaning occurs not only on the surface, but also in the fibers of the fabric. So you can get rid of deeply ingrained dirt, coffee stains, stains from wine and sauce and even a dust mite.
- The effect is not only cleansing, but also disinfecting. Allows you to get rid of harmful bacteria.
- No stains or other marks characteristic of other cleaning methods for upholstered furniture.
- With a steam cleaner it is easier to get to hard-to-reach spots.
- After processing, an unpleasant odor disappears.
Most sofas are not afraid of steam cleaners. The exception is those that are upholstered in silk or linen. But leather furniture much better tolerates hot steam.
How to clean the sofa with a steam cleaner?
Here is a detailed cleaning instruction:
- Vacuum the sofa intensively.
- The most difficult spots can be pre-removed with a detergent. If you basically do not want to use chemistry, try natural folk remedies.
- After the upholstery is completely dry, you need to prepare a steam cleaner. Pour water into a special container. For a better effect, you can add upholstery cleaner, shampoo, or dishwashing detergent. It will be safer to use the chemicals specified in the manufacturer's instructions. In addition, you need to dilute them in water, and not use a concentrate.
- Then it is necessary to put on a suitable nozzle - triangular.
- Now you can start the cleaning process. The nozzle must be kept at an angle. The device needs to be moved smoothly, to clean the upholstery with long and soft movements, often wiping the remaining dirt with a rag (only not from rough material). The whole process should be gradual.
- Work on areas that are easy to reach, then hard to reach.
- The same areas must be carefully treated several times.
- Ruffles need to be cleaned carefully. Pulling the fabric, work it from top to bottom. It is important not to leave a burn on your hands.
- Pillows and other removable parts are best treated by first removing them from the sofa.
After the cleaning is completed, the furniture should dry. This is not a quick process.But if a vacuum cleaner is built into the steam cleaner, then drying will take much less time - just a couple of minutes.
The following rules will help you clean your furniture most efficiently:
- To check whether the upholstery withstands contact with steam, it is better to first process an inconspicuous area of the sofa. Least of all steam cleaning harms dense upholstery in dark colors.
- The effectiveness and safety of cleaning depends on how high-quality water is used. It should not be too rigid. Water can be filled from the pipeline, but if it is not soft enough, a small amount of distilled water should be poured into it. It is better to use filtered water, as it is less likely that scale will form in the device.
- When the water runs out in the steam cleaner, you need to unplug the wire from the outlet, release the remaining steam to the surface and only then refill the tank with water.
- Do not touch lacquered elements, otherwise they will swell and spoil the appearance of the furniture.
- Be careful about metal parts. They should not get wet.
- It is better to use a steam cleaner regularly. Then definitely no potent chemicals are needed.
To clean quickly, safely and without difficulty, you need to listen to a couple of simple tips and keep in mind the instructions and recommendations of the manufacturers. And then the furniture will be whole and spotlessly clean.